Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Artichokes on the Brain Again & in My Belly

Reassurance

     We're safe and sound. My Grandma and Pappy Pagano and I are sitting around their kitchen table on a quiet summer evening and I am eating my Grandma's stuffed artichokes for the first time. I am in my early twenties visiting them in Pennsylvania. We are catching up on lost time. I should have had these long ago with them, but an irresponsible Dad and a bitter Mother got in the way. So here I am as a young adult finally learning about my culture, my family, and these two very loving adults Jennie and Joe Pagano. A whole artichoke is pretty exotic looking and I am not quite sure where to begin having only eaten marinated ones from a jar. "How do I eat this?" My Grandma patiently gives me the run down, "you tear off each leaf and you can eat the stuffing and bite off the tender tip. But throw the rest of the leaf in this bowl. Then once you get to the choke, cut it away and enjoy the heart." So, we dig in, very very unique, earthy flavored with Italian bread crumbs. Delicious! I am hooked and tell them so. They both quietly smile. My Pap looks me in the eyes and looks sort of melancholy but very loving. Finally learning about each other bonding over a home cooked meal. Family doing the hard work to have a relationship and I realize that with these two it has been worth the heartache and the redoubled effort to connect to learn and to love. Oh my they are so easy to love!!! They are so reassuring and loving and open-hearted towards me.  They make me feel safe and loved.
     Safe and Sound. While shopping at Whole foods last week I catch a glimpse of the fresh artichokes and this lovely scene from over ten years ago plays out in my head. Our quiet and natural bonding over a meal. I feel very warm and fuzzy, so I buy two. When I get home, my husband finally tells me after eating them with me and my family several times that he actually doesn't like them. "More for me," I tell him. And I do get it, they are an acquired taste pretty ethnic. So, I make my stuffed artichokes and I am eating one for lunch the next day. My Grandfather's been dead for a few years now, but here he is; his energy springing up as I eat the artichoke by myself. He's here to join me with his big brown Pagano eyes looking at me proudly and I am engulfed with his love as I cry tears of joy all the while eating a perfectly stuffed artichoke. Crying and channeling and eating. Ha! Joe's reassuring me, loving me. Not letting me eat such a Pagano family favorite by myself. A few days later he pops up again. More strong waves of love wash over me as Safe and Sound by Capital Cities plays in my head.  His message to me:            
                                                                                                              
 

     The phrase safe and sound is in the song over 25 times.  Ok, ok I get Pap.  I am safe and sound .... everything's gonna be alright.  Is that not the most encouraging, Grandfatherly message ever? These silly pop songs can really pack a punch when used by the divine. I am always supported and enveloped by his love and others.  Love really is everywhere.  Facing fears and keeping my chin up with his support always.   Sometimes I get so frustrated and sad about the state of my physical health.  I am going to call you in during those times ok? Thanks Joe, I love you so much. Thanks for always being proud, always loving, and always having my back, come and hang out with me anytime. Mangia!  And of course I have to share the artichoke recipe! 

Stuffed Artichokes
  1. Fresh Whole Artichokes
  2. Italian Bread Crumbs
  3. Romano Cheese
  4. Salt and Pepper
  5. Fresh Italian Parsley Finely Chopped
  6. Water
  7. EVOO
Wash artichokes well under cold running water as you open up leaves with your fingers, trim off lower leaves around stem, cut off stem, cut of top and make flat topped, snip each outer leaf with kitchen scissors flat. Let drain upside down.
Mix bread crumbs, salt and pepper, cheese, and parsley, fill each leaf and the center with the mixture.  Add about one cup of water to a dutch oven. Arrange chokes upright in pan. (“Jennie Trick”, if only doing 2, put a coffee mug in with the chokes upside down so they stay upright.) Drizzle generously with EVOO. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce and steam for about 45 minutes until leaves come off easily. Add water when needed.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful piece of writing - it made me kvell (Yiddish for feel happy and proud) and also a little teary here at work. Beautiful and heart-warming, it made me remember and long for those kitchen moments, too! - Jovanina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jovanina, Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete